WNIX, the oldest radio station in Greenville, signed-on October 18, 1939 as WJPR. The station was located at 107 S. Poplar Street in
Greenville and operated on 1310 kHz with a power of 250 watts. The station was owned by John R.
Pepper. According to the 1940 edition of "Broadcasting Yearbook", The General Manager was Paul Thompson and
the Program Director was Bert Furgason.
WJPR Sportscaster Jim Wilson, pictured in October 1947. These are the only
known pictures from the station's early years.
February 29, 1941, the station moved to 1340 kHz, still operating with 250 watts. On May 26, 1946, the
station was sold to Radio Services Company. In the early 1950s, WJPR moved to 1330 kHz, the frequency on
which the station operates today. At the time, power was increased to 1000 watts daytime and 500 watts at
In the late 40s and early 50s, the station had an FM sister station, WJPR-FM, operating on 101.9 mHz.
However, that was long before the popularity of FM stations and thus there were very few listeners. The
FM was eventually turned off some time in the early 50s.
The call-letters were changed to WNIX on November 7, 1979, following a change in ownership.
The station has had a variety of formats over the years and is currently the only News-Talk station in the
Greenville area, featuring Rush Limbaugh and other popular talk shows. An
FM simulcast on 101.1 was added in 2011.
On March 1, 2015, WNIX increased its daytime power to 3800 watts, making WNIX the
most powerful AM station in the Delta. The station can be heard from Clarksdale to Yazoo City, and all points
Broadcast Electronics AM-5E transmitter, installed in 2015, alongside the equipment rack holding the FM Transmitter
for W266BY (101.1 FM).